Disability Application Checklist
Applying for Social Security Disability requires applicants to fill out online both the application and the disability report. In preparing for your Internet Disability Benefits Application and the Disability Report, there are several pieces of information that you should gather before you begin. Being prepared for the online application before you begin will help with filling out all of the necessary forms and answer the questions.
The Social Security Agency provides a downloadable version the checklist here.
• Claimants should have their dates of marriages and divorces.
• Any names and dates of birth of their minor children and spouses.
• Veterans should have their Military Service discharge information (Form DD 214) for all periods of active duty.
• Claimants should have their W-2 Form (or IRS 1040 and Schedules C and SE if self-employed) from last year.
• Checking or savings account number and bank routing number are required if claimants want Direct Deposit for their benefit checks.
• Claimants should provide names, addresses and phone numbers of persons SSA can contact. These persons should know about the claimant’s medical conditions and can help with the claim.
NOTE: A written declaration by the person(s) detailing their first-hand knowledge of the claimant’s injuries before and after the disability will help.
• Claimants should also provide names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers, and dates of treatment for all doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
NOTE: Claimants should refer to any and all Medical Records that will provide detail to the disability.
• Claimants will have to provide the names of all medicines claimant is currently taking and which doctor prescribed the medication.
NOTE: Claimants will want to have medicine bottles available.
• Claimants should be prepared to provide the names and dates of any medical tests performed, the outcome and who requested the test.
• Claimants should provide a work history by listing jobs and their dates (up to 5) claimant worked in the 15 years before becoming unable to work.
• Claimants should also provide any information about any insurance or workers’ compensation claims filed, such as claim number and name, address and phone number of insurance company.